Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Apple's answer to Netbooks: the iPad


With the latest netbook craze, Steve Jobs has been asked hundreds of times, "when will Apple make a netbook?"

He famously responded to one of these questions with "we don't know how to make a $500 computer that works like crap." (paraphrasing)

Here is Stevie J's official answer: the iPad. A tablet computer that is meant to battle with netbooks.

I'm a HUGE Apple guy... but I just can't justify this purchase. I will probably buy a netbook this summer (I'm looking at the Dell Mini 10v) and I've been itching to see if Apple would respond; this just doesn't do it for me.

The biggest thing I don't like about the iPad is the touchscreen keyboard. I refuse to type like that, typing on my iPod Touch is bad enough. I need a traditional keyboard to type more than a sentence comfortably.

I love the price - $500 - as some websites were predicting this to be a $1000+ product. I just don't love the idea. It seems to me like a large Touch, and I'm going to come out and predict a flop from this device in market sales. Sorry Stevie.

No comments: