Friday, April 17, 2009

A tribute to John Madden


John Madden changed the 90's. Not because of his announcing, per se - but rather because of his unforgettable contribution to the video game world with the Madden football franchise.

Madden retired from announcing yesterday, almost certainly meaning that his video game line will be renamed. This, dear readers, is a tragedy.

I can't tell you how many countless hours of my junior high and high school years were dedicated to Madden on my PS2. I used to absolutely FIEND for the franchise modes of Madden 03-06, playing it in between two-a-day football practices. I will always remember posting up on my parents' porch, Maddy cat by my side, and playing my PS2 until the late hours of the night. The Madden parties of freshman year were also legendary.

For those memories, John Madden, I will be forever indebted.

No comments: